Wednesday, July 9, 2008

You've got it, now please use it...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008


I'm a stickler for good spelling and grammar. I'm all for using slang words or abbreviations, but spelling errors in this, the age of "spell check", are unacceptable in my book. I realize there are a few times where words get missed or are spelled differently depending whether you live in a metric or imperial country. Americans spell words differently to Australians and Europeans and that's just the way it is...they don't like to use the letter "u" as often as other countries (honor/honour, neighbor/neighbour). There are many other spelling variations, but you get my drift.

So when I read emails, the first thing that jumps out at me is a typo. I've told you I have my profile on a dating site and every now and again, when I'm home with nothing else to do, I look at men's profiles. I am floored by the horrible spelling and poor grammar and this is from guys who say they are professional business men...c'mon. And if I receive an email from one of these lazy spellers...DELETE. Like I said, a word here or there isn't a deal breaker. Here's one I hadn't deleted...when you read this, you'll understand...


your mom wood approve I'M A DOCTORRRRRRRRR!
YOur looks knock me out!!! I luv european women? check me out

Yeah, ummm, no thanks. I think I'll pass...oh and he has a mustache (what guy could possibly think growing just a mo is sexy?)

I've even received resumes with spelling mistakes....not just two letters typed the wrong way around, but proper errors that spending another 3 minutes spell checking could make the difference of a job or not. Are people really just lazy. We have computers, so there's no need to white out mistakes, or re-write a page of notes, you just hit the delete key and begin again and when you're finished, all that needs to be done is to SPELL CHECK it.

I think I'm rambling a bit today. I had absolutely NO sleep last night. It's 95 degrees here and we had a terrible storm yesterday afternoon. Lightening hit a rather large tree which in turn fell and took the power lines with it. At 5pm the power to the neighborhood (I live in the US, so I can spell it like that) was cut and it wasn't put back on until 10am. Needless to say, without air conditioning, neither Ollie nor myself could sleep. He was panting so much I thought he was going to have a stroke. Finally at 4.50 this morning, I got up, put him in the car and went to the store where I knew he would cool down on the concrete floor and I could recharge my Blackberry, and cool down a bit also.

Now Ollie's fast asleep in my bedroom (where the ac is) and I am going out to run some Monday errands, but not before I spell check this.....



No comments:

Post a Comment