Monday, September 29, 2008

Two boots...

Monday, September 29, 2008

Sorry I've been m.i.a....I had "one of those weeks".

Was "let go" from my job....for reasons I won't go into here, but it came out of left field and apparently they were 100% sure I was going to resign. Ummm, I'm more professional than that. I'd never resign the day before I was going away, but whatever, I can now spend time with my family without knowing I HAVE to be back at work.

As they say, "one door closes, another opens".....

On Wednesday, before I went to the airport, I saw my orthopedic surgeon. He took more x rays of my foot, which is still bruised and sore. He saw no fracture, but is sure I tore a ligament, so he switched out my Aircast for a boot. Really sexy and not the most comfortable for air travel!!!

Oh, and yet again, I have strep....grrrr. I'm already on antibiotics, so, hopefully, I'll be all better by tomorrow. Right now, I have no voice, so typing is really the only medium of communication for me!!!

I saw my gynecologist yesterday (I have doctors, dentists, acupuncturists, osteopaths etc here too). We discussed IVF and decided this was the next route. I am going to start it here, when I get my next period. He'll do all the preliminary stuff, like the blood test, ultra sound and put me on the pill, so that when I go back to the US, I'll be ready to start the injectables and won't have to skip another month.

We also talked about the pros and cons of doing it in Australia as opposed to the USA.

1. The out-of-pocket expense would be a lot less if I did it in Australia. The Medicare cap is $1000 and once you pay that, they pick up 80% of the remainder of the bill.

2. Can't buy sperm in Australia like you can in the US. They've just lifted the regulations on single and gay couples buying donor sperm, but demand far outweighs the supply. The wait is years, which I, unfortunately, do not have the luxury of.

3. It's illegal to bring donor sperm into Australia....ie, I can't have them ship it overnight to me here, nor can I bring it in my hand luggage.

"Do you have anything to declare?"

"Err, yes....this" *Holds up a cooler*

"And what might this be?"

"My baby daddy"

Don't know how well that would go down, but I would maybe make it onto the show "Boarder Patrol"!!!

4. I know both my fertility doctor in the States and in Sydney are incredibly competent, but the one here is world-renowned. Giving me is seal of approval, though, made me feel much better.

So, here I am...

I've seen my grandmother a few times, and we had dinner with her last night. At 98, she has her good days and not so good ones, but last night, she was in great form.

No comments:

Post a Comment